a breath of poetry
a breath of poetry giving you a glimpse of my soul
3.28.2007
Poem .13
Today I woke up
After a ten hour nap
And I still felt exhausted.
I had two new text messages
From two different guys
And I had no intention of replying to either.
I skipped my shower,
Fearing the effects
Of the dry winter air
On my already too-sensitive skin,
And instead washed the sleep
From my eyes in the sink.
The reflection in the mirror stared back
Challenging me to try this time, to
Make this day better than the last.
I threw on a sexy blouse,
Sexy shoes,
Sexy jeans,
And did my hair and makeup to match.
But I left my house feeling every bit the frump.
I got to work and began my routine.
But something was missing.
There is no joy in accounting,
No thrill in organizing,
No more zest in opening the mail.
Not even my eighth cup of tea could energize me.
Tonight I'll go out with the girls.
We'll play dress-up
And flirt for drinks
In a lonely bar
With lonely patrons.
We'll see old high school friends
Who got fat,
Who got knocked up,
Who got ugly.
There is no love in liquor.
I'll drive home alone
To my empty bedroom
And its empty bed.
And I'll sleep cradled in my own arms
Until my alarm goes off
And I get to do it all again tomorrow.
posted by Little Red @ 4:40 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER