a breath of poetry
a breath of poetry giving you a glimpse of my soul
3.28.2007
Poem .15
Imagine.
You and I are standing
At opposite sides of an enormous sinkhole.

We've walked across miles of desert,
Weathered blinding storms,
Scorching heat,
Brutal winds,
And somehow survived.

There is a still silence here.
Not even a breath of wind to encourage or dissuade us.
This is our decision.
Ours alone.
Ours together.

I've been inching toward the edge.
Every step was taken only after careful deliberation.
I don't know if you were as cautious as I was in coming here.
Nor do I know your intentions.
I fear my own.

Looking down, I can't see much.
After a few feet, the hole becomes pure blackness.
No one knows what lies at the bottom.
I long to find out for myself.

There are no more steps to take.
We're at the edge.
It's only a matter of time now.
How I wish you were here
On my side
Instead of miles away on the other.
I wish I could ask if you'll jump with me.
I need to hold your hand and know that I am not alone.

I can't wait here any longer.
Curiosity and my desire to be near you are begging me to leap into the darkness.

But if I fall,
Please promise me that you'll follow.
I know this is my choice to make,
But don't make me suffer alone.

I know that if I fall without you,
I will crumble upon impact,
Shattering into a million pieces.
And if you fall with me,
We can hold each other on the way down,
Ready to land safely in each other's arms.

This lonely landscape offers no hope,
No sign of life is to be found.
My only choice is to take this leap
Because I can't walk away never knowing
What secrets lie at the bottom of this great chasm.

I think I'm ready now.
I've made up my mind.
Holding my breath,
I stretch my arms out like wings
And prepare to take the plunge.
3….
2….
1….
I'm falling.
posted by Little Red @ 4:41 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Archives
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER